January 4, 2016

A Cinderella Tag

It's the latest thing in my own little corner of the blogging world: Heidi from Along the Brandywine is having a Cinderella Party (which is a most splendid idea, if you ask me)! Click here if you want to join the fun; there is a button on the sidebar for now as well. I've decided to do the Cinderella tag, because how can you resist talking about princesses?

                                                           
1. In the vast array of fairytale heroines, what particular character qualities most define Cinderella? 
I think Cinderella really shines and surpasses other princesses in several ways. Her endurance and patience is incredible. I really like the "Take courage and be kind" quote that Cinderella follows in the 2015 movie, because it captures her "make the best of it" attitude. In the basic fairytale, it's hard to see all of Cinderella's potential qualities, but the further the story is expanded, the more you realize how much of a role model Cinderella can be. 
                                                                           

2. What are some of the deeper, big picture differences you see between retellings where both stepsisters are nasty and others where one is nasty and one is kind? How do you think the two takes differently develop/illuminate/affect Cinderella’s character and also the overarching story itself?
When both sisters are mean, the story is more clear-cut and obvious. I like it because it's what I'm used to. But when one sister is not as mean as the other, it adds a lot of depth and realism to both the characters and the story. It's great when the storyteller has more time to add those nuances that make Cinderella more interesting. 
                                                                       
"Why would a fellow like a girl like her? A girl who's merely lovely?"
3. Are you an animal lover? Would you eagerly count mice, lizards, cows, and geese as friends? Dogs and cats?
Yes, I like most animals to a certain degree. I would consider birds of all kinds, dogs, cats, rabbits, and horses as good friends, especially if I could talk with them. I suppose I wouldn't have any aversion to other animals, but making friends with a few kinds (I'm talking to you rodents and reptiles!) could be quite difficult.

4. After asking question #3, I realized how remarkably many of the adaptations I’ve seen have Cinderella either horseback riding or involved with horses. Have you ever ridden? If so, have you ever ridden sidesaddle or bareback? 
I took a handful of horseback riding lessons from my piano teacher, which were amazing! I would love to ride sidesaddle and bareback someday, but for now I'm stuck with just wishing for it. 
                                                                             
5. Your favorite Cinderella dress/s? 
In the animated series, it's definitely Cinderella's ball dress, but especially before the ball, when it's more white and sparkly than blue. Of course, I love the blue sparkly dress from the 2015 Cinderella. I also really like the historically-inspired dresses from Ever After. 
                                                                          


6. Do you ever think of Cinderella while doing your household chores? :)
Why, yes, I do, especially when I'm sweeping or dusting or washing dishes. I'm glad I'm not the only one! And sometimes (in a lighthearted way) I will say "yes, stepmother", after I get yet another chore. :)

7. What major character traits do you think are essential in a faithful prince? 
Loyalty, Generosity, Intelligence, Nobleness, Chivalry, and genuine Kindness.
                                                                       
"In the arms of my love I'm flying, over mountain and meadow and glen. And I like it so well that for all I can tell I may never come down to earth again!"
8. Your top THREE favorite fairy tales (as in the original folk tales, not adaptations). 
  • Rapunzel-when I was little I never wanted my hair cut, so that I could be like Rapunzel. :) To be totally honest, I still think that as I'm trying to grow my hair long, although it isn't the main reason anymore. 
  • Sleeping Beauty- I'm not sure how I can explain why I like this one, it's just always been there since I was a toddler (or maybe even earlier!) It's just so classic, and I like having both fairies and royalty. 
  • The Princess and the Pea- I like this one for the pictures it brings to mind: imagine dozens and dozens of mattresses hiding one tiny pea, and one tiny princess sleeping on top! The more I think about it, the sillier it seems. I mean, a true princess shouldn't have to require absolute comfort in order to do the simplest things...but I still like it because like I said before, it was part of my childhood.
I love how this book's illustrations look!
9. Your top FIVE current favorite fairy tale/legend type films (BESIDES any Cinderella adaptations). 
  • Enchanted-so cute! I love all the fluffy lightness and humor throughout the film. Giselle is so perfect!
  • The Princess Bride-This one's Classic with a capital C! It's filled with some great humor, and it's perfect for boys and girls alike to watch.
  • Sleeping Beauty (animated) by Disney-what could be more traditional than this prince, princess, fairy, and castle mix? I loved seeing this as a kid.
  • Belle (also animated) also by Disney ;) - This was just a lot of fun to watch. Way to go, Disney!
  • *grins sheepishly* Ok, I'm going to cheat here-All the classic Jane Austen films in one-just because it gives me the same happy feeling that fairy tales do. And after all, they all end happily ever after, right?    

10. If you could play Cinderella and the story could be set in any region of the world and any time period, what would you pick? And what would your dream ‘ball gown’ for it be like? 
Ooh, I think it would be cool if it were set in 18th century Virginia, and Cinderella was an indentured servant whose first master's wife was very kind, but after she died, the new wife was cruel and destroyed proof of when Cinderella's indenture would end. Her fairy godmother would send her to the Royal Governor's New Year's ball, and she would meet the governor's son...you get the picture. :) My dream ballgown would be practically any 18th century gown gown, but here are two that I would especially like:
This one is not quite accurate, but perfect for a fairy tale!


11. And (purely for fun :))… what color/s do you immediately associate with Cinderella?
Delicate blues and purples, accented by sparkles. :)

8 comments:

  1. Great answers, Abby P! I had a lot of fun answering the Cinderella tag as well!

    Also I love your answer for question 10! Cinderella as an indentured servant and then going to the royal governor's ball and wearing a gorgeous Georgian dress!! It's so perfect! Like I wish this was a real story, so I could read it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith! I'm not as much of a writer as many bloggers are, but I have been slowly adding to a different indentured servant story of sorts...hopefully I can write this one someday as well!

      Delete
  2. Abby,
    Yay, I'm so happy you were able to do it! (And it's your "first" tag on your brand-new blog! I'm honored! ;))

    #1: I agree wholeheartedly.

    And #2: Hilarious stepsisters pic from the 1965... :)

    And the 2015 and Ever After dresses.... YES!!!

    Hee! I like that. "Yes, stepmother." 'Tis an excellent idea. :)

    Awww. Super sweet picture on #7...

    And Sleeping Beauty!!! I'm SO happy you love it, too!! That's probably my #1 fairy tale. (Funny anecdote, I just finished madly writing/editing an SB retelling for a story contest and now I'm up to my ears in Cinderella-ish things and -- even after hours and hours of work -- they're still my two favorite fairy tales! So I guess they really are my favorites. ;) It's quite marvelous, really.)

    #9: And Austen... ABBY! Hee. *I'm teasing* No, I know exactly what you mean. ;)

    #10: Ohhhhhh I am totally loving your Cinderella idea!! Seriously, somebody HAS to write or film this. I LOVE IT!! ;D

    #11: "Delicate blues and purples, accented by sparkles. :)" Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, I was so excited to be able to do a tag! And it was great because I didn't have to be invited for this one.
      I love the Rogers and Hammerstein version of Cinderella. The songs are so catchy (and quotable)!
      It's so wonderful how good stories, especially fairy tales, seem to never get old. Something is just so timeless about Cinderella, even if it's in a time and world far from our own.

      Delete
  3. I enjoyed every moment reading your answers. And that last one... that idea is so amazing!!! That time in history has always fascinated me and lately I've come to think that the fashion of that time is one of the most romantic (in the old sense of the word :)) times in history! And the photo of the girl in the window... such swooping charm. I'm glad you chose it. :)

    BTW: your blog name is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eowyn! Colonial America is definitely my favorite time period, and mostly because of the fashion. :)
      Haha, I won't tell you how long I stayed up one night just trying to think of a blog name that would work, but once I had it, I knew there was no turning back!

      Delete
  4. Ahhhhh, I loved your answers! :D

    OH. OH. That book! You know that book! The one you pictured, Rapunzel? I LOVE that retelling. It makes me oodles-of-happy :D

    May I just say, I'm impressed by your answer to #10. That sounds absolutely AWESOME. Mayhap you should write it?? ;D

    Nice to meet you, Abby! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm glad somebody recognized that book! I got it as a present when I was 6 or 7, and I think it's a great version as well. The pictures are so much like classic oil paintings, and they whisk me off to fairy tale world! :)
      Why, thank you, Olivia! Mayhap I shall! ;)
      It's nice to meet you too!

      Delete