April 28, 2016

Why I'm a Feminist

The world is going crazy, people. The more I see and hear of it, the more I wish I wasn't here at all, or at least could bury my head in the sand. I'm here today to let you all know what I know to be true, er, strongly believe about feminism and gender equality. In short, I'm here to tell you that I'm a full-fledged, shout-it-from-the-rooftops feminist.

                                    

A feminist, according to the Google dictionary, (or whatever that definition thing that pops up after you search a word is), is "a person who supports feminism."
Do I support feminism?

Uh...YEAH!

I believe that women are wonderful. We're special and important and unique. In some ways we are just as good as and the same as men, but in other ways...we're better! And to be fair, men are better at some things too, just not the same things. I think the word for that is....
   
different.

                Antique Blue Mason Jar:

Do I support feminism?
Well, I support all things that are lovely and beautiful. I support flowers and pretty long hair and skirts that swish with every step. I support grace, elegance, and hospitality. I support inner and outer beauty. I believe that motherhood is a beautiful thing, as it brings out one of the loveliest feminine traits we women have: empathy.

                         Yes, indeed...:

Femininity ought to be celebrated, not suppressed.Some people would rather women didn't show their feminine side, however. They demand to be treated equally in all parts of life; the workforce, the army, and the household are a few examples. I understand that some women don't desire "traditional" female roles. Some women feel much more comfortable in pants every day, and would much prefer a professional career instead of motherhood. I am happy that they (myself included) have that choice today. But something odd has happened in the world of gender: in the past decades, women have been so eager to attain equality with men that they forgot about what made them special and unique from men. And although some important improvements have been made, society has now run to the idea that women who enjoy being feminine and who pursue a feminine lifestyle are odd, wrong, and downright crazy.

                        .:

Some women want to be just that...women. As a feminist, I ask you to stop making them feel like they are doing wrong for enjoying the feminine things in life, or for following a feminine lifestyle. The best thing the feminist movement can do for women is to protect their freedom to decide how to live, not to coerce them to be more like men.

Women are different from men in many wonderful ways. Feminine traits, styles, and personalities are to be cherished. I want to celebrate this, and protect it.
And that's why I'm a feminist.

6 comments:

  1. Now that's the kind of feminist I like!! ;) Great post, Abby. And the pictures are gorgeous!

    I just want to say "feminism" (as we normally think of it) is so ridiculous. This idea that women must prove they are BETTER than men...by ACTING like them! It doesn't make any sense! What we're really saying by trying to act like men is, "I agree. Women aren't good enough. Men are really the best, and we'll never amount to anything until we become just like them." Ha! If we only stopped and pursued those things which are truly womanly, those things which men CAN'T do, we would suddenly discover where we truly are better than them. Not that it should be our goal to be better than them, anyway--that's a very silly attitude--but I like how you put it: "In some ways we are just as good as and the same as men, but in other ways...we're better! And to be fair, men are better at some things too, just not the same things. I think the word for that is...different." EXACTLY. It's not a matter of who's better than who at all. But if we're going to be discontent with how God made us, then we're going to end up in a fair pickle of a mess (which is just where our society is at the present moment, which is really, really, sad). Ahem. Sorry. I'll get off my soapbox now. ;)

    Thank you for your thoughts on this subject Abby. I really liked what you had to say. :) Oh! And I like that quote by Tasha Tudor. That is really good.

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Miss March! And I totally agree, feminism today is completely over-the-top. Yes, yes, and yes to your logic, my friend. It is so saddening to see men who could and would be gentlemen, if only there were any ladies to show chivalry towards.
      We need a permanent soapbox, I think. Soapbox speeches are the best. :)

      Delete
  2. YOU. ARE. AWESOME.

    This is so true! I agree heartily. People can be so nuts about this. Men and women are different -- we were created different, and we have different roles to play, so we must be allowed to play them! (Hey, that's a Downton Abbey quote. *ahem*) It's frustrating when this issue gets blown out of proportion, I think, when it's so simple.

    I'm right there with you on this one, Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! And I agree with you completely. And it takes considerable talent to incorporate a Downton Abbey quote, so congratulations! I probably could have rambled on for pages!

      Delete
  3. I agree with everything here, except that while that may be the true definition of the word it's dangerous to label yourself as that with all the connotations attributed to the word. Otherwise, this is a beautiful post beautifully written. I so wish that that word had kept its meaning in the eyes of the world! Good article!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Gabriellyn! I agree; I don't want people to think that I align with the feminist views of today!

      Delete