September 6, 2016

My Town

I live in a rather peculiar place, folks. Some would consider the gathering of houses and businesses surrounding me a city. Others would say a small town, and for those living in LA or New York, I'm living in The Middle of Nowhere, USA.
It's a nice place, this town. We have parks and schools and churches. We have an early 1900's main street, where 100 year-old buildings hold bookstores, cafes, and a music shop. We have tennis courts and basketball hoops. We even have a lovely little water park.

Image result for historic downtown
(This isn't the town I live in, but it's similar)
In the winter, everything freezes. My town has snow days. It has barrels of sand at every street corner so people can melt the ice off their sidewalks. The river and pond freeze over, and welcome people to whiz around on the sleek, icy surface. We have a sledding hill, and even a ski hill, so that people can breath the frigid air with joy.

Image result for sledding hill

The summer is just as nice. This town has farmer's markets. It has band concerts in the park. People come for the 50 cent cake, and stay into the twilight for the fireflies and German polkas. We have patriotic parades. And that sledding hill? We cover it in picnic blankets and watch fireworks for the Fourth of July.

Image result for farmers markets

Just when it's time to head back to school, everything in this town halts for the county fair. Young and old spend a weekend together to see the cows and chickens, and the county's best jam. It is only when the last funnel cake has been devoured, and the last Ferris Wheel ride been taken, when school is allowed to start. Then the football games begin, and students come in hordes to cheer for their team in the nippy October air. Farmer's markets switch from tomatoes and strawberries to apples and pumpkins and gourds. And then this town has Okoberfest, eating its weight in brats and sauerkraut in the name of celebrating its German heritage.

Image result for fair produce

In this town, we have a library, funded by Carnegie himself. We have an art center, and a town museum. We have dozens of murals, and little wooden containers around town full of free books for the taking. We have little concerts, and little art exhibits. But we have them, all the same.

Image result for flags from street lamps
(Again, not the town I live in.)
This town does not have an orchestra. It doesn't have a Macy's or a Kohl's. The tallest part of our skyline is the church steeple. It's a peculiar place I live in, but a wonderful one. It's a place I'm proud to call my town.

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE THIS!!!

    As you probably know, I love small towns. :-) It's always special to hear about the place a person's grown up in, because I believe it shapes so much of who we are. I've grown up in a quirky neighborhood outside a sizable town and a lot of this sounds familiar. The way you've described your town is lovely, Abby. It sounds like a fine place to live.

    This reminds me of a song -- Florida-Georgia Line's 'May We All'. It's about where you grow up and what kinds of feelings we all have for those places.

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading this, Abby. :-)

    ~E

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Emma! I agree; the upbringing I got here will definitely carry influence later on. And YES I this is quite similar to "May We All"!

      Delete
  2. Wow. Your town sounds amazing! (And you wrote about it SO well!) Sledding, band concerts, fairs, picnic blankets and fireworks! Gahhhh! Sounds like an old-town community that one reads about in books. How delightful! :)

    I LOVED this post!!! :D

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you Miss March! I'm not always sure about the quality of my writing, so it's nice to hear you say that. :) And I left out the bits about drugs and the few horrid people we have, but focusing on the positive, it does sound like it's from a book!

      Delete
  3. Small "middle of nowhere" towns are the heartbeat of America and recently I've really begun to realize how lovely they are! The farm trucks that drive through downtown, the way you can see and feel the seasons change, and how you never really have to drive that far to be out in the country again. It's all an amazing gift and your post is a beautiful tribute to it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a nice comment, thank you Eowyn! You could do a post about small towns yourself; you described them so well in a few lines! :)

      Delete