December 3, 2016

Advent Sunday 1: Oh Come, Oh Come, Emmanuel

I'd like to start a series within this series of blog posts this month. (And yes, that's allowed when you're making up all the rules yourself!) Every Sunday of December, I'll share an Advent hymn with a video, the words, and pictures. Music is my favorite part about Christmas, especially the hymns. This Sunday I have an iconic Advent hymn: Oh Come Oh Come, Emmanuel.

This recording is by Mannheim Steamroller, whose Christmas music is amazing!

Oh Come, Oh Come, Enmanuel
Oh come, oh come, Emmanuel
And ransom captive Israel
That mourns in lonely exile here
Until the Son of God Appear 
Refrain
Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
Shall come to you, O Israel!

Image result for bethlehem christmas

Oh come, O Root of Jesse, free
Your own from Satan's tyranny
From depths of hell your people save
And bring them vict'ry o'er the grave
(Refrain)

Image result for cradle to cross

Oh come, O Dayspring from on high,
And cheer us by your drawing nigh;
Disperse the gloomy clouds of night
And death's dark shadows put to flight
(Refrain)

Image result for cradle to cross

Oh come, O Key of David, come
And open wide our heavenly home.
Make safe the way that leads on high
And close the path to misery.
(Refrain)







8 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely! We sang this in church yesterday but you made me realize more what the words really mean! Thank you! Have you ever heard a version which has the refrain?:

    Rejoice! Rejoice! Emmanuel
    And Ransom Cavtive Israel!

    All the pictures are so lovely! My favorite one is the last one!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah, I've heard that refrain too! Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. I like your idea of posting a new Christmas song every Sunday. Sunday and music just go together, don't you think?

    Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel is a beautiful song. And I really like that last picture you included. It's so sweet. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yes, they certainly do. :)

      Delete
  3. Great idea for a blog series! I love the season of Advent, how it helps me focus on not only Christ coming into the world as a baby, but looking forward to him coming again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hamlette! I love Advent too, and for the same reasons!

      Delete
  4. I LOVE this song too. It's gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, this is a beautiful version! I love it in Latin.

    ReplyDelete