December 5, 2016

My Nativity

Well, it's not midnight yet, so I didn't technically miss today's post, even if now is the time I generally post the next day's entry. Ok?
Ok! Besides, you are getting a post for December 6th too, just not the night before. It's a special day tomorrow! Anyone want to guess what it is?
Back to business though, I thought I'd share some pictures of my nativity set today. That's right: for the first time ever, you will see pictures on this blog that aren't Pinterest perfect; they are instead taken on my extremely high-resolution phone!*
*please note: sarcasm



I really like the story behind my nativity set; it wasn't a family heirloom, or smuggled from a far-away land, but it was collected piece by piece by one of my aunts, who gave me one new figure each Christmas. 


My first figure, of course, was Jesus. It wouldn't make much sense to have all these people standing around and worshiping nothing, would it? Then followed Mary, Joseph, and an angel. Then my mom got me a stable to put them in. It actually has a music box that plays Silent Night.



Then followed the shepherds, one by one. I was now well into my grade-school years, and still anticipated each year's new arrival. That shepherd girl sitting down is named Naomi, and I thought "huh, what a nice name!" And lo and behold, a year or two later, I met a real live (nice) Naomi! :)



And last but not least, I got the wise-men. I wondered and kind of hoped I'd get one riding a camel, but I loved the ones I got! Besides, by the time I got my last wiseman, the manger scene was getting a bit crowded!
I'm so happy my aunt did this for me. It's something I'll keep for the rest of my life, and instead of having to buy an expensive nativity all at once, I had the joy and anticipation of collecting one every year, as I experienced another Christmas, remembering the true reason for the season.

Do you have a nativity set?
Is there a certain present you have "collected" over the years?

9 comments:

  1. What a lovely nativity set!
    I especially love the name of the shepherd girl. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hehe, I thought you might! ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh! What a lovely set! And what a great way to get it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that's lovely!!! The set and the story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have several nativity sets, one that belonged to my grandmother. The only one I've been putting out for the last several years is one made of peg dolls I crocheted clothes for, though -- my kids can play with them, and they won't break. (And even if they did, I can just make another, hee.) Looking forward to the year I can put out my fancier nativity set! Yours is very pretty -- I love all the colors :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a good idea! Hope you can use the fancier one soon! I know my mom adapted her decorating style once we grew up. Thank you; I like the colors too! :)

      Delete
  5. That's such a pretty nativity set! I love the story behind it, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your nativity set is adorable, Abby! And I love the story that goes with it. What a special thing to look forward to every Christmas. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abby, my family has those exact same nativity figures! They are so lovely! What a neat idea, though, I never thought to name them!

    ReplyDelete