January 1, 2017

Pop the Champagne

Well, if you're 21 that is. Or younger if you live, like, anywhere else in the world. I'm not bitter or anything. It is New Year's though!

~J    BEAUTIFUL NEW YEAR to all my wonderful followers ♥ jasmine:

Anyway, how-dee-do once again, everyone! In case you were wondering, Christmas Eve marked the end of my Advent Calendar. That was it. Was it perfect? No, but it gave me joy to make it and hopefully pleased you all. I have no idea what next year will look like now, but I may do something similar next Advent, although probably more toned down!
How were your Christmases, dear readers? Mine was filled with family and flurry. (Isn't alliteration great?) I received some gift cards, necklaces, a Jane Austen coloring book, a famous artwork coloring book, an illustrated Pride and Prejudice, and an Official Guide to Colonial Williamsburg. Oh, and tea! I am quite pleased. :)

Image result for official guide to colonial williamsburg

Image result for coloring classics jane austen


Seeing as it is a new year and all, I thought I'd do the year in review tag. Everything you ever wanted to know about me, coming right up! (Actually I guess I'll put this out there that if you wanted to ask me anything about anything, you can put in the comments and your questions *may be answered!)

What did you do in 2016 that you'd never done before?
Lots of things, I'm sure! Like today I made water chestnuts for the first time. And yesterday I played a card game called Citadel. The list goes on...

Did you keep your new year's resolutions and will you make new ones?
Here were last year's resolutions: "stand a little straighter, work a little harder/efficiently, eat a little healthier, learn and read a little more, and live closer to God each day." This year's resolutions: ditto. Plus do more with my hair and makeup, and try to wear perfume every day. Dress nicely. Be classier. And if you've seen Katie Gregoire, don't be stupid or make bad decisions!

Did anyone close to you give birth?
No, but my sister-in-law is going to in 2017! 

Did anyone close to you die?
My uncle. 

Which countries/states did you visit?
I went to Colorado on a youth group trip, and to Chicago for a day on a family outing. 

I took this while waiting to get in the Art Institute Museum.

What would you like to have in 2017 that you lacked in 2016?
Travel, a "few" thousand dollars for college, and a sweetheart. 

What date from 2016 will remain etched upon your memory?
Guys, I'm terrible with dates. But I would be remiss if I didn't say June 18th, my brother's wedding. I already know 2017's etched date: June 4th, graduation!

Did you move anywhere?
As in, move house? Nope! 

What was the best month?
I liked them all. 

♡ Princess of Paris ♡:

What was your biggest achievement of the year?
I got accepted to the school of my dreams in Virginia, and I'm going there!

What was your biggest failure?
I applied to work at the library for like the third time (the other times they "didn't need anyone"), and they still rejected me! But it was for the best, I have better/more hours as a waitress now. 

Did you suffer any illness or injury?
Only a few colds and ill effects of wearing too small shoes, but as Mary Musgrove would say, "My sore throats are worse than anyone else's.". Which they truly are, I'm actually prone to really bad sore throats! 

What was the best thing you bought?
I'm not sure; I did buy a lot of nice tea throughout the year! It's from a cute brand called English Tea Shop. 

Image result for english tea shop

Whose behavior merited celebration?
Mine! (just kidding) Umm I'll call out the Civil War Trust; they preserve Civil War and Revolutionary War battlefields that are in danger of being ruined. 

Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
Some of my own friends and classmates, actually. They disappointed me. :( 

Where did most of your money go?
To the piggy bank! :) 

 :

What did you get really, really excited about?
I was really excited to end Junior year of high school, and now I'm really excited to leave high school all together! I also was super excited to dance with my friends at a reenactor's ball. 

What was the  best concert you've been to this year?
I went to a Joshua Bell concert this fall, which was spectacular! He's a world-known violinist, and I got his autograph! 

What song/album will always remind you of 2016?
Love Runs Out by One Republic and Maren Morris's My Church. Not the most virtuous song, but catchy. 

Compared to last year, are you:
  • happier or sadder? Happier?
  • thinner or fatter? Let's go with thinner
  • richer or poorer? Richer, but soon-to-be oh so much poorer. :( (College)
#Christmas #presents for people who love to cook:
What do you wish you'd done more of?
Doing, reading, even sleeping, maybe. From a practical standpoint, probably working.

What do you wish you'd done less of?
Procrastinating! And biting my nails. Ew. 

What was your greatest musical discovery?
Waitress. It is an amazing musical and the songs are super addicting! 
Although I must say, as of New Year's Eve I read some blog posts and discovered La La Land, which I'm currently listening to and loving!

How did you spend Christmas?
I answered this at the beginning of the post so...

How are you spending New Year's?
With family, at home, and watching the Vienna New Year's Concert, which I LOVE. 

Image result for vienna new years ballet
The Vienna Ballet dances to some of the waltzes in beautiful palaces.

Who did you spend the most time on the phone with?
Hmmm probably Emmie, but possibly one other person...

What was the best book you read?
Either Young Pioneers or Northanger Abbey

Did you fall in love in 2016?
No, not love. Like, maybe. But let's hope for 2017!

What was your favorite TV show?
It's a three-way tie between Poldark, Mercy Street, and The Great British Baking Show. 

Image result for mercy street season 2

What did you want and get?
The college of my choice, a sister, and 3 good jobs. 

What  did you want and not get?
A harp. I mentioned this in my wishlist and it never appeared. Odd.

What were your favorite films of the year?
Like, that came out this year? Love and Friendship. 

Photo of Kate Beckinsale in Love and Friendship:

What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I turned 17 and I don't think I did anything special. Had some sort of cake, nice presents, you know the deal.

How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2016?
Not as ideal as my Pinterest fashion board, I can tell you that! I think my concept was whatever looks decent at 6:30 in the morning to a non-morning person. With a touch of class.

What kept you sane?
I don't know, I don't think I was in danger of being insane? Willpower and self-confidence, maybe?

Which celebrity/public figure did you admire most?
Ioann Gruffudd. (aka Horatio Hornblower) The crush deepens *blushes*
Oh wait, you mean admire in a non-romantic way? Kate Middleton or Marine le Pen. 

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge beamed as they posed for a portrait ahead of the evening reception:

What political issue stirred you the most?
I think abortion has and always will be the issue that is most important to me. May we all live in tyrannical communism for the sake of no abortion for all I care. 

Who did you miss?
My German friend, Carolina, my old piano teacher, and my siblings. 

Who was the best person you met?
Joshua Bell! Also met some neat reenactors. 

Joshua Bell and a 3.5 million dollar violin. Because he's just that good.:

Tell a valuable life lesson you learned in 2016.
Pray! And don't forget to thank God for his blessings, instead of just asking for more/different ones.

Five personally significant events of 2016:
  • I was the Fiddler for Fiddler on the Roof in my high school's musical
  • I truly reenacted (Civil War) for the first time instead of just giving costumed tours.
  • I got a waitressing job that is hard work, but good.
  • I got accepted to my college!
  • I got 2nd chair, first stand in my youth orchestra for a trimester
                                               "Maids of All Work" by John Finnie, 1865:

Five things I want to do in 2017:
  • Go to college (duh) and have fun learning and making friends 
  • Travel to Europe (where this fits in my year/budget, I have no clue)
  • Travel to house museums up and down the East Coast 
  • Reenact more
  • Read all of Jane Austen's works, maybe? Be a better person? The possibilities...they never end.
People I'd like to know better in 2017:
My grandma, my future roommate, and my future husband (because I have no idea who he is) 

And with that, dear friends, happy 2017!




12 comments:

  1. I learned the same lesson this year -- pray more and count your blessings. Your advent calendar was neat, to be sure. Also, I find it so cool that you mention doing reenactments. Good luck with college this fall!

    Happy New Year!
    -Elanor

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elanor! Yes, reenacting is a lot of fun! :)

      Delete
  2. Wonderful answers! Sounds like you had a great year. 2016 just seemed like a good year to be alive in. Happy New Year and may God bless you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I am so grateful for having a good year. I hope you did too! Happy New Year, and thank you! :)

      Delete
  3. You played Fiddler!!!! EPICNESS! :D Also congrats on your chair placing for Orchestra, that's really fab! I got back my uni chamber group results. 1.2 :D But your's is fab too!
    Also hehe some blog posts and discovered La La Land.. I love it so much, it's really brilliant and the tap dancing *grins*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a lot of fun with that role! :) Thank you, I'm really happy about it. I've been in orchestra for six years, and I've always wanted to try first stand! And I might see La La Land on Saturday!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Abby!!! It feels, while reading this post, I know you better now. :) It does. Good luck with your college!!

    I LOVE your header!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rachel, and happy new year!

      Delete
  5. Your answers are so much fun! I enjoyed this post immensely!

    You bite your nails, too? Wow. So I'm NOT the only one who does that. What a relief. Haha. ;) You know, I thought I was going to break the habit back when I had braces because I couldn't bite my nails for a full two years, but nope. As soon as my braces were off, I was right back to biting my nails, same as always. Terrible isn't it? :P

    That's so cool that your sister-in-law is expecting a baby! My sister-in-law is, too, actually. Also my sister. We're going to have two new babies in 2017! :)

    That would be so neat if you were to get a sweetheart in 2017. Anything on the horizon yet? :) Congratulations on being accepted to your dream college!

    ~Miss March

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miss March! Haha no you're not the only one! It sure doesn't seem like something Elizabeth Bennet would do, but like you said, it's a very hard habit to break!
      How exciting! I've never had a younger sibling or even a cousin that's much younger so having a baby around will be a new experience!
      As for a sweetheart, all I can say is I'm closer to having one than last year, but as of now there is no Mr. Darcy knocking at my door! ;)

      Delete
  6. Ooh, that's the same Jane Austen coloring book that I have! It's delightful, isn't it? :)

    I can so relate to your story of applying at the library and not being accepted. I've applied to work at Barnes and Noble quite a few times, and each time I've been told they "went with other applicants who were better suited to their needs," or something like that. I mean, I love to read and would practically live at a bookstore; how am I not suitable? Okay, rant over, haha. ;)

    Loved reading your answers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Delightful is the perfect word for it! And now I got a Pride and Prejudice coloring book for my birthday too!
      Yeah, it's like hello? Do you not see how perfect I am for this job? And I've seen the people they chose instead of me...I did not approve. :P

      Delete