January 29, 2017

What Four Hours of Television Can Do

I just spent the last four hours on the couch in the living room, eating pizza (as is Sunday night tradition) and watching TV.
Four hours occupied thus has never been so wholesome before.
(Okay, maybe it has, when watching BBC's Pride and Prejudice, but I'm talking about live TV here.)

I first pressed the little red power button on the remote a full hour before my intended show was on. I was pretty sure all I'd find on the one decent channel we have would be corny British comedy shows from the 1980's, which, besides Jeeves and Wooster, is an entire waste of time. But I always like to check to see what's on, just in case.

And dear readers, it paid to check. I was greeted by a kind, elderly British lady, who proceeded to show me beautiful little towns and traditions of England, and made me want to go there very, very badly.

Image result for penelope keith hidden villages
The show is called Penelope Keith's Hidden Villages, and it's lovely.

After about 45 minutes of yearning for England, the show I had actually come for finally arrived: Mercy Street.  It was excellent, as usual. But tensions are heightened, and the show is getting more dramatic and interesting every time. My attention was equally divide amongst the plot, characters, costumes, and setting. 

Image result for mercy street season 2


At the ad break at the end of the hour, I had about ten minutes to walk out the stiffness in my legs, grab a drink, and settle down for the next show: Victoria.

Now I'm not sure what you've all heard about Victoria so far, or if you've seen it yet. If you have, please comment below! I'd love to hear you're thoughts! (If you haven't, please also comment below! About anything, I suppose! :) 

Image result for victoria

Anyway, the show is so superbly amazing: everything is lush and beautiful, and the characters are so lovable and flawed at the same time, and there's so much intrigue and drama and feelings that words can't describe. 

Image result for victoria pbs
There, I included 2 pictures, which means I really love this show!
At the three hour mark, I was ready to call it quits for the night, but alas, I was stayed by an excellent documentary by Lucy Worsley about the 6 wives of King Henry the 8th. If you ever feel like learning, look up Lucy Worsley documentaries. I want to do what she does when I grow up. 

Image result for lucy worsley 6 wives

At the end of this night, I do not feel particularly lazy. I feel enlightened. Cultured. Happy. And quite British. :) 

What are your favorite television shows right now?
Do you ever find a great lineup of TV programs at once?
Have you seen any of these shows? What do you think of them?

18 comments:

  1. Wow, excellent TV-programs you have!! :-)

    I WANT TO WATCH MERCY STREET SO BADLY.
    Victoria I want to watch too, but not as much. I'm still rather devoted to the Emily Blunt version. :-P

    ~ N

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? They seem to concentrate all the good programming to Sundays though. :P Hope you can see Mercy Street soon!!

      Delete
  2. Oh! How lovely!! Sounds like a delightful way to spend the evening. :) And you've seen the new Victoria show! Goody! I've been wanting to find someone who'd seen that show so that I could learn a bit more about it. My siblings and I watched a little of it while we were staying at a motel the other weekend, but we came in, in the middle of it so I really couldn't say whether it was a good show or not. :) Is it a miniseries, or an actual TV show? Is Lord Melbourne a good guy? Because I seem to remember from The Young Victoria that he wasn't as good as he appeared, and yet he seemed pretty nice in the part we were watching. Does Albert play a large part in the story or is it more focused on Lord Melbourne and Victoria?

    Anyway, I guess that's all I've got to say. But hey! maybe you could do a review of Victoria sometime! I'd love to read your thoughts on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a lovely evening! :) It's a miniseries I think, I'm a little foggy on the difference between tv show and miniseries, but it's high quality and a limited number of episodes. Lord Melbourne is definitely a good guy, but he has his flaws. He's on Victoria's side, but he doesn't want to manipulate her like Sir John does. Sir John is bad. :( History wise, I'm not sure how good Lord M was, but he is portrayed as noble and good in this show. Until this past episode, there was a lot of Lord M and Victoria, but now they've shifted focus to V+A, because that's how the history of it went.
      I would love to do a review on Victoria, once I've seen it! I think it's only one season? Anyway, your comment inspired me (as they often do) to write about the real Queen Victoria! :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for the added details! This sounds really intriguing. And yes, please do write a review on it! I'd love to read more about it. I'm especially curious to know what Albert is like in this version because he was my favorite character in The Young Victoria. (Have you ever seen The Young Victoria?)

      Delete
    3. Albert is...interesting in this show. He's introverted, serious, and a bit socially awkward, and at first thinks Victoria is silly. But he can be so romantic too, and really cares about people. So basically, I am in love. :P You know, I don't think I have seen the Young Victoria, which is crazy. I think it's on that long list of movies that I was too young to watch for a while but then forgotten about.

      Delete
    4. Oh, he sounds sweet! You're making me really want to watch this now! :D

      Delete
  3. I have been watching Victoria every Sunday, and I think it is good. (Not as good as The Young Victoria, though.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This Young Victoria you speak of; I shall have to see it to compare! I have seen many many pictures of it, but haven't watched it.

      Delete
  4. Makes me wish I watched television! Haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha it has its drawbacks too, but nights like these make it worth it! :)

      Delete
  5. Why did you put those pictures there!? Now I really need/want to watch all of those!!! Great post Abby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha hope you can watch them soon!

      Delete
  6. OH OH OH! PENELOPE KEITH I LOVE HER SHE'S FAB! :DDDDDD
    Victoria I am passionately in love with, it's one of my new favourite shows :D (Slight Bias cause I am friends with someone who knows the writer but it's still so pretty and just gah, Albert and Victoria are SO adorable!)

    Anyway... have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the way she narrates everything with quirk and pizzazz. And I know, Voctoria is such a pretty show! And how lucky you are to have that connection! I have only watched up to The Clockwork Prince, so I have more of V+A relationship to see before I make a final decision, but I've already fallen in love with Albert! :P
      Thanks, you too!

      Delete
  7. I keep seeing the Victoria series everywhere, and I can hardly wait to watch it! Somehow I haven't heard of Mercy Street before, but it looks fantastic as well. Don't you just love watching shows with wondrous historical costumes?! xD I dabble in sewing, and I think my mom is starting to dread when I get a project idea that takes over the dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to see Victoria soon! It really is great. :) Mercy Street isn't as well known, but I really like it too. Ooh, I wish I could sew better, all the costumes in these shows are so inspiring! Hehe my mom's like that too, with my projects! :P

      Delete